Sunday, March 22, 2009

Stop build_hd_index from hogging your CPU


I was getting sick with my PowerMac G5 running at 100% CPU (and consequently fans at full throttle) every night. I discovered all was due to a process called build_hd_index, which I first I thought was related to spotlight. However, and according to some forum posts, I found it is related to Apple Remote Desktop.

Unless you really need reporting from all your computers in your local network, and unless you love the sound of roaring fans at night, I would definitely recommend turning build_hd_index off. One of the most straightforward solutions can be found in Get rid of build_hd_index:

sudo chmod a-x /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/build_hd_index
sudo rm /Library/Preferences/com.apple.ARDAgent
sudo rm /var/db/RemoteManagement/caches/filesystem.cache
There is also an official Apple Knowledge Base entry.

I hope it helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment